Monday, May 16, 2011

summer salads

OK, it's pouring rain today. April and May switched jobs this year in New York City—semi-sweltering late April afternoons lead to rainy May mornings. I have my eye on the future though, and it is bright and full of vegetables! Well... at least legumes, tubers, and fruit.

I took a trip to the farmer's market on Saturday and it was a JOY. I have sea anemone looking cornflowers in a jar on my desk, and I made a delicious fish dinner (stand by for that). In the meantime, I invented a weird salad!

The best kind of salad (lettuce is a joke, let's be honest) is one full of nutrients but also full of FOOD. One of my summer specialties is the "three can salad" (can of corn, can of black beans, jar of salsa) (and an avocado, if you've got it) which is both economical, fibrous, and delicious. Along those lines I made a sweet potato, bean and tomato salad. You could even call it a sweet potato gazpacho if you were really feeling saucy.

Sweet Potato Summer Salad:

mash up one (cooled) baked sweet potato (see this post)
mix in about half a can of black beans
stir in some chopped cherry tomatoes
sprinkle some salt, pepper, garlic powder (or fresh) and a little cumin
top with half an avocado



No comments:

Post a Comment