Friday, May 13, 2011

Angelica's Vegetable Steamer

College bestie was visiting from Oregon. The classic dilemma: she's a vegetarian (who doesn't like eggs) and I am... gluten free. Now, I'm not saying all I ever do is go out for steak dinners. I'm just saying that two needy-eaters together makes for tricky planning. I was afraid we'd exhausted all my resources (vegetarian sushi, tacos, my favorite raw restaurant) and when we agreed to meet another friend in the city for a quick dinner, I felt flummoxed. We were going to Village East Cinemas to see [THE AMAZING] documentary about Bill Cunningham. Then I remembered:Angelica Kitchen. It'd been a long time since I'd eaten there (pre-GF days!) and I'd enjoyed my seitan sandwich (well...I'll bet my stomach didn't.)


Anyway, I ordered the dragon bowl. Apparently they have a whole gluten-free menu (a list of what they already have that happens to be gluten-free) but we were in a hurry and I forgot to ask to see it. (a) this is not a bowl. That doesn't matter, but (b) it wasn't very good. That's all there is to say. A platter of steamed vegetables with a weak tahini sauce... I am disappointed because I know vegan can taste AMAZING. I know vegetables can taste AMAZING. (They usually do.) (Even steamed ones!) Neither of my friends were crazy about their dishes, either. The point: skibble down the street to Tu-Lu's Gluten-Free Bakery and get a panini instead.

Edit: the carrot-apple-ginger juice was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment