Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Muffin Tin Easter Buns


My mother promised me that she would try out the recipe for Gluten-Free Girl's Cinnamon Rolls when I came home for Easter. A disgusting and secret behavior of ours, during my childhood, involved going to the Cinnabon at Crossgates Mall. There would be some sort of Java Mocha Explosion - iced coffee in the form of a milkshake, and the massive, steaming, labyrinth of a heart attack, twisting, uncurling, clogging.

[That may or may not have been a repressed memory up until this very moment of honest disclosure. I shudder to think.]

But then the oven broke. I was riding the train upstate, lured (mostly) by the promise of sticky delights, and the oven was not working. If you are new to gluten-free baking, every recipe requires a certain amount of planning. Flour blends, measuring, weighing. Like learning German after learning Spanish. So even when the problem was isolated (a gas leak at the meter!) and the oven was fixed, we were utterly unprepared.

Then I remembered: didn't Shauna herself say that good dough for a cinnamon roll is like white bread dough? Did we not have a box mix for white bread? Oh, again, with the discontinued Whole Foods mixes. Anyway, I'm sure any white bread mix will do.

I have always considered myself to be more of a chef than a baker, and I was lazy, so I let my mother do all the difficult work, as in, letting the dough rise and then shaping it. And making the frosting.

She says:

I made a mixture of melted butter, cinnamon and brown sugar until it was sort of thick. Then I dropped a hunk of the dough into each cupcake tin (it made 18 rolls) and spread the sugar mixture on top, then added another chunk. It took about 3 chunks per cupcake tin. The frosting was powdered sugar and milk. Although maybe it should have been water.

Ed. Note: the frosting was perfect with milk, and sustained freezing and reheating in the office microwave quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment