Saturday, March 13, 2010

Too Little, Too Late: Blueberry Muffins

The larger issue at hand here is the crippling practice of procrastination, as in, I wanted to post about muffins and now it's too late.

This just in: Whole Foods 365 brand is discontinuing their gluten-free mixes.

I was already upset when they stopped carrying the Gluten-Free Pantry line. Every year at Christmas my mother and I improvise Swedish Yule Kake by adding ground cardamon to the white sandwich bread mix. Then we add a powdered sugar glaze and sprinkle festive green sprinkles on top. (Toast, add butter, repeat. Repeat. Repeat.)

Recently I made blueberry muffins, with the discontinued Whole Foods Mix. They are pretty good.
I offered some of the bounty to a Glutenous Correspondent (my roommate.) She said,

What I like about the muffin is that it lacks the powdery, grainy texture so common among gluten free mixes. It's slightly less dense than a common muffin mix, but I typically want a muffin with less weight anyway. The fruit blended well and didn't cause any pockets of starchy instability.

A close-up on texture.

Then she attempted to create a rating system for gluten-free food based on inches of intestine: the more inches the better? I thought the idea was funny but also disgusting. I will not be incorporating that rating system onto this blog.

Coming soon: two other muffin options, now that the one I have presented you with is defunct. Or; run immediately to Whole Foods to scoop the last boxes off the shelves! Either one. You choose.

3 comments:

  1. That is really weird -- I thought gluten free items were selling like GF hotcakes!!! Maybe nobody bakes anymore??
    YM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe outsold by the new King Arthur & Betty Crocker mixes? Very strange indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you the King Arthur muffins were awesome -- in fact, I've been impressed with all of the options in their line I've tried so far (brownies, cookies, muffins).

    My Whole Foods still carries the Gluten Free Pantry brand products (and I bought their muffin mix this week -- haven't tried them yet). I only went GF a little over 2 months ago and have never seen the 365 GF line in my store, so I'm not lamenting the loss since I never knew it to start with!

    ReplyDelete