Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Harlem Brunch: Buckwheat Crepes

Don't be nervous now. Buckwheat is neither grain nor cereal, it is classified, hilariously enough, as a pseudocereal. Brunch last Sunday was a clever and slapdash invention - a regular recipe for pancakes, substituting pure buckwheat flour for regular flour. I can't give exact proportions, as a friend made them and kept adding things to the batter over and over again. More milk, more honey! Bananas would taste good! Cinnamon? Baking soda or powder? (Powder.)

Sometimes gluten-free baked goods have an odd chemical taste to them. I always scan the ingredients and wonder what it could be - some preservative? I think I know now the flavor is buckwheat. OK, bear with me as I defile the very product I am purveying. Once I realized that is how buckwheat TASTES, that it is, in fact, the natural situation of a pseudocereal, well, the truth set me free. And I liked it.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to smother these babies in maple yogurt and unsweetened coconut flakes. Relish in the sweet toppings and the promise of grainless health.

Look at that second fork, diving in for the kill!

No comments:

Post a Comment