Thursday, January 21, 2010

Testing, testing.

Sign of a good snack: I ate it all before I photographed it.

Great news! Just back now from a lunchtime trip to Starbucks. I had to pick up some coffee for the office, which they will very nicely grind to your exact specifications (percolator? cone filter? paper filter or metal?) As per my usual modicum of Green Effort, I said, "No bag please." The gentleman behind the register looked me in the eye, and told me quite simply that I would require a bag.

"Have you ever been to the beach?" he asked me.

"What... do you mean?" I asked, wondering if my metaphors are ever so obtuse.

"You know how the sand gets into your bag, and you can never get it out?"

So today, Starbucks, I thank you two-fold. First, for the over-achiever level of customer service (I denied the bag, again, and carried it with my hand, which I believe is the function of that limb) and second, for the remarkable quality of your new, gluten-free product.

Lucy's Sugar Cookies: the package comes with four perfectly sized cookies, and, hurray! They taste good. Crumbly, but not in a bad way, crunchy, in an appropriate way, sweet, and even a little bit salty, and with no hint of the worst offense of a gf baked good: garbanzo. (Though it does contain bean-y flours.) I swear I don't like it just because it's there, and to prove it, I have just decided I need a glutenous correspondent.

Any takers?

Conclusion: $1.50, under 200 calories, convenient, and, dare I say, mouth-watering.

4 comments:

  1. I'll pick up some cookies later today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU, fabulous! Now remember: be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the way to work today I stopped in both Starbucks on 8th Ave. that I pass along the way. In both spots the employees DENIED the existence of such snacks! Maybe it's a downtown thing? I'll continue the search this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY SUSPICIOUS! I will note that at the Bond/B'way Starbucks they were not in the snack case, rather, across the way on a special display table.

    ReplyDelete