Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New World Bistro

One of the great things about a smaller city is that unlike New York "Fucking" City, which is enormous and has absolutely everything, a smaller city can incorporate "everything" into "everywhere." What I mean is: here (N.Y.F.C.) you can travel 1.5 hours uptown to get gluten-free pancakes. You can trek to the West Village for incredible gluten-free pizza. AND I LIKE THAT. But in Albany, what might already be your favorite restaurant (ten minutes away) might have made some additions, substitutions, or at least concessions to your dietary restriction of choice.

AMAZING FRIED CALAMARI WITH CHILI GARLIC WUNDERSAUCE

I visited the New World Bistro with a friend a few weeks back. I had read about it on a sister-blog (can I call it that?) and had been DYING to try it out. Fantastic! They have a special menu, one side vegan, other side gluten-free. They have a dedicated fryer, knowledgeable waitstaff, and a tasty cocktail menu. (Recommended: the Old Fashioned—it has cucumber in it. Not as-recommended: the lemon rosemary martini, too sweet, and the sugared rim melted all over my hand. Picky, yes, sticky, more so.)

Insane yucca pancake with cabbage and fried beef.

If you make it upstate, eat here. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment