Monday, June 13, 2011

Stockpiling for the Apocalypse

The problem with getting what you want is that you get used to it and then when the new organic grocery store is out of Rudi's gluten-free bread you get really, really mad. I can't tell you how many wry conversations I've had with the cashier of the Pine Tree deli. "I notice you're out of gluten-free bread again," I'd say, conversationally. "What ABOUT ALL MY SANDWICHES?"

Anyway, I broke down and ordered bread from the internet. Eight loaves in my freezer. My roommates were shocked. I am extremely pleased. Bread, bread bread! Who wants french toast? I DO.

Advice: be careful ordering online. The very reason I prefer Rudi's over Udi's bread is that Rudi's has no preservatives. Guess what—shipping preservative-free bread is very expensive. I ordered from Udi's website and the shipping and handling was about $11. That brought the price of the bread up to about what it costs at the Korean bodega anyway.

Soon I will be in Iowa City with my own kitchen and a little more free time and I will attempt to bake my own bread. In the meantime, I will enjoy the easy luxury of frozen bread at my beck and call.

No comments:

Post a Comment