Friday, September 3, 2010

Two-Can Dinner

This a lie. This recipe clearly requires more than just a can of chick peas and a can of coconut milk but let's take a leap of faith here and say that I went to the store to procure (almost) only these two items and subsequently enjoyed a delicious, healthy dinner.

Lately I have been obsessed with chick peas. Sometimes, straight from the can, they are a bit dry and hard to chew - but I find that if I heat them up in the pan with some olive oil they develop the most delightful consistency!

Ingredients:

diced garlic (1-2 cloves)
diced onion (1 small white or brown)
olive oil (lots)
1 can chick peas
1 (bag, box, amount) spinach
1 large handful of cilantro
curry powder/turmeric/cumin/chile powder

1 cup rice
1 can coconut milk


Brown the onions and garlic. Add chick peas and spices and stir regularly. The longer you have to heat the chick peas, the softer they'll be. (I love a soft chick pea. Did I mention that?) Add cilantro, then add the spinach. I added frozen shrimp at the end, but that really goes against the 'two-can' idea.

Simultaneously, make the coconut rice: simply replace the water you'd cook the rice in with the coconut milk. Lightly sweet and a little buttery!

I forgot to mention Chardonnay. That also does not come in a can. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment