Monday, January 25, 2010

Macaroni & Cheese


It's a rainy day in New York City. It was a rainy day yesterday, too, the kind of day which required hot and sloppy food to counteract the chilly atmosphere. I was in the East Village, hungry for dinner, and chilled to the bone: the exact nexus of place, time, and atmospheric pressure to finally try out S'MAC.

S'MAC (12th Street & 1st Avenue) is a little restaurant that only serves macaroni and cheese. For a few dollars extra you can have it with (!) gluten-free pasta. I ordered the "Napoletana" which boasted "Fresh Mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, and fresh basil. Yum!"

My Italian review? Mezzo mezzo. It required a vigorous sprinkling of salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes - a bad sign to begin with. The noodles were good and chewy, but the cheese was flavorless (sin!) and the roux base was clotted and watery. Having made macaroni and cheese myself several times, I had no trouble creating a creamy roux with plain rice flour. So... If I can make it myself, and better, then... I won't be going back to S'MAC any time soon. I'll listen to Dr. John while I stir the pot...

Mama Roux!

Better to stay home on a rainy day and heat up some Amy's Rice Mac & Cheese, which is, frankly, too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment