Saturday, August 6, 2011

Iowa City, IA


Well, here I am! The land of plenty: education, corn, and pork. The good news: we immediately found a delicious Mexican restaurant on the outskirts of town, La Reyna. Moving is so exhausting that my parents and I went back to eat dinner two nights in a row. When you find a good enchilada, you just want to eat it twice.

Another place we ate at more than once.

Not only that, the other side of the building is a "bodega," (a welcome word to a recent New York City transplant) where you can purchase Mexican and Central American ingredients. (More peppers than you can shake a stick at.) This immigrant (me, to Iowa) has no pots or pans yet so grocery shopping is like a slow form of torture.

Lime mayonnaise? Why not!

This morning I stopped by the farmer's market just to take a gander: BIG MISTAKE. Bulbous and glistening vegetables leered at me from every corner. Individual sized spaghetti squash! ONE DOLLAR EACH! Fresh sweet corn—"picked last night!" Well take me out back and shoot me. I'll be going home to have a sandwich from my toaster... and setting up a small altar to pray for the safe and swift arrival of my cast-iron pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment