Saturday, May 29, 2010

This 'n' That Stir Fry!


So it was Friday night last night, which means a couple of things. It means I had time to cook dinner, but it also means I had NO GROCERIES! OK, that's not completely true. One always has some pantry items, perhaps a single carrot, some soggy celery. A can of beans, rice, onion - this 'n' that.

If I were a French housewife, and it were 1940, I would take my celery and onions and make a stock or a stew. Well, I had just gotten back from yoga, and it is 2010, and basically, I needed to eat.

Back in college days, my brilliant friend invented a stir fry with two basic flavor ingredients: peanut butter and chili garlic sauce. Sticking to college canon, I dutifully always made this dish with broccoli, as she recommended. Making it with broccoli is THE BEST because the peanut butter sticks to the little green bristles. SO. GOOD.

Turns out, you can make this stir fry with anything. Variety! The spice of life. Ahem.

You will need:

onions, chopped
absolutely any vegetables, chopped (broccoli, snap peas, carrots, celery, zucchini, anything)
1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter
1-2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (to taste, it is HOT)
tamari (or gluten-free soy sauce)
sesame oil (or any oil for frying)
ginger, if you have it
rice

Saute the onions. Add the rest of the vegetables. Add the peanut butter and chili garlic sauce (and ginger) and stir until the peanut butter is evenly distributed. Cook until vegetables are cooked - but still crunchy. Look for the bright green glow - don't let them brown. (Obviously this does not apply to carrots. They are orange.)

I added kidney beans - cuz I had them - but you could add chicken, tofu, or chick peas, too!

Serve over rice, add soy sauce as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment