Friday, May 14, 2010

Around the neighborhood...

When I moved to Crown Heights it was impossible to get my hands on a piece of fruit that didn't have flies buzzing all around it. That's not a criticism, per say, I love my neighborhood. But so much can change, in three years. For the better: now I can get a gluten free frozen pizza - coconut milk ice cream - Tofutti bars - hummus - kombucha, all at the 24 hour Korean bodega. For the worse, well, let's argue about gentrification another time.

Gluten-free cones, available 24 hours.

The first time I tried to buy whiskey at my local liquor store, they laughed in my face - through the bulletproof glass, of course. Jameson? What was I thinking? They could offer, instead, a nip of Wild Irish Rose. Now there is a full wine selection, demarcated by region. Spanish, Italian, French, Australian. Sake in the back corner.


The renovated deli by my house offers lower prices on Ben and Jerry's pints - and more selection. And now, this poster, a public service announcement to the neighborhood! Now if only they had a gluten-free roll...


No comments:

Post a Comment