Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mixes from the Heartland

Attention readers! I got my first box of swag the other week from Mixes from the Heartland. (Disclosure! Disclosure! Disclosure!) It was very exciting and I am happy to present my first review.

Among other things, I received a mix for a Pineapple Pound Cake and a mix for Key Lime Dip. I was having weekend guests (one of them gluten-free!) so I set to work creating a delicious tea time treat for their arrival.

First of all, the mixes are HUGE. This made two cakes! And required this large bowl. I photographed the volcano science project that ensued.

The package suggested garnishing the pound cake with caramelized pineapples. "How do you caramelize a pineapple?" I wondered, out loud. Same way you caramelize anything. Cook it slowly in so much butter and sugar. Tend carefully. Entrust the tending to your trustworthy roommate:

Since I had two cakes, one became a sandwichy layer cake. The frosting I made with the Key Lime Dip mix and a container of cream cheese. I'm sure whipped cream cheese would have been better (easier) but lime cream cheese frosting is PRETTY DAMN DELICIOUS. I ended up adding:

fresh squeezed lime juice
a drizzle of vanilla extract
(a little salt)
and some additional powdered sugar

to the frosting. Then it was perfect.

The cake was a HIT. I fed seven people and still had some to bring in my lunch this week. The texture was great; it even made a good breakfast treat because it wasn't too sweet. In fact, it really reminded me of cornbread - more than pound cake. The caramelized pineapple helped it act more like a dessert. And everyone agreed: it didn't taste gluten-free. Know what I mean?

MORE EXCITEMENT: I will be doing a give-away contest shortly, with Mixes from the Heartland products. Stand by while I devise a challenging and invigorating contest idea.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment